(TFT) Re: Quickness/IQ and parry system

-----Original Message-----
From: stan rydzewski <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com <tft@brainiac.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 14, 1999 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) TFT: Quickness and IQ

>Dave Seagraves wrote:
>>
>> Adjusted IQ
>>  Attribute points can now be spent to increase the IQ points a
>> character can spend to learn talents and spells.  It costs one
>> attribute point (which isn?t otherwise spent on ST, DX, or IQ)
>> to increase a character?s ?adjIQ? by two.   [snip]
>
>I think this sort of thing is a very good idea; basically a wider
>knowledge rather than a deeper one.  We use something similar, but
>not so elegant - allowing characters to buy extra talent "slots"
>for XP.
>
>Have you considered extending this concept to ST?  You could
>allow people to buy "adjST" at a similar rate, with the adjST
>being used as hit points/fatigue.  It's nice to be able to have
>a powerful mage who isn't a hulking tower of ST.

>Stan - new guy on the list

Both the idea of adjIQ and adjST sound great but why not use Andrew Morris'
rules modifications on character creation points.  This system prevents ST
30 wizards who could lift a Caddie and also limits other statistics creating
a more balanced character and game.

The group I ran in the 80s used a modified six characteristic system that
was found in a Different Worlds magazine (#? its in my mess right now
somewhere).  The problem I saw with this system were the two types of DX
used in it but we muddled though it and enjoyed playing, as it slowed down
the production of high strength wizards.
ST, DX, & IQ were broken down into two characteristics.  The characteristics
being ST = physical strength and END = damage/fatigue that a character could
take; DX was broken down into SPD (speed) and COR (coordination); and IQ
broken into two statistics, IQ = what level of spell/talent could be bought
etc. and KNW (knowledge) = the points that could be spent on talents/spells.
As I said earlier this system had its merits and demerits.  This is why I
believe Andrew's system is the best.  Added to this could be Stan's rule for
adjST creating a magic fatigue system.  Dave's idea though (sorry Dave)
would be swallowed up by Andrew's system.

On parrying, great idea Chris it makes the defender less passive.  How do
you do Defend/Dodge?  Does it stay the same for the attacker, rolling 4d6
against the defender.  Also what if their is more than one attacker?  Do you
allow the defender to parry one attack with weapon and one with the shield?
How do other GM's handle the defense of one character being attacked by
multiple attackers?

Yours in Cidri
Justin