(TFT) What's AP

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Seagraves <dseagraves@austin.rr.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com <tft@brainiac.com>; dseagraves@austin.rr.com
<dseagraves@austin.rr.com>
Date: Thursday, July 15, 1999 3:26 PM
Subject: (TFT) TFT: Defenses, adjST, & adjIQ

>SORAG -- Human Martial Wizard
>   Sorag is a typical adventurer wizard; played by a young David ("Time
>Bandits") Warner.  Just recently Sorag helped a party of three others find
>the treasure of the silver dragon.  He doesn't make friends easily, so he
>tends to stick with those who tolerate his gruff exterior.
>   Just recently Sorag turned his time and money towards spell research --
>winning honors from the Wizard's Guild for having invented the spell Summon
>Dragonet.  Right now he's debating what to do with the wish he recieved as
>reward.  He'll probably either use it to increase an attribute, sell it, or
>just keep it handy for an emergency.
>   In a fight Sorag has three strategies he likes to use: 4-die lightning
>bolts, throwing explosive gems, and conjuring illusions of giant octopi
>armed with three bastard swords (which really rack up the experience
>points).  Target priority tends to be enemy wizards first, then archers,
>then everyone else.  He doesn't shy from "roll to miss" when shooting
>lightning bolts with a party member in the way.
>   Sorag lacks a short-range disabling thrown spell such as Sleep or
Freeze,
>as well as a serious summoning spell, and is considering the purchase of
>magic books to study and learn these spells.  He used to own a 16 ST
battery
>and a Maintain Illusion ring -- his only major magic items -- but sold them
>to finance his spell research.  He's also studying Thrown Weapons (to
>quickly ready and throw magic gems) and Horsemanship (to increase his
>mobility on the battlefield).  He has already spent the time necessary to
>learn these talents, and now only requires the IQ points to buy them.
>   Sorag and his group are now making preparations to go after the band of
>brigands who have been preying upon merchant traffic in the northern Huldre
>Forest area of the Duchy of Dran.  Before leaving he'll probably use his
>money to buy another ST battery, and perhaps a single item with a few
>defensive spells such as Reverse Missiles.
>
>Age: 22
>Job: Town Wizard ($120, 4/17)
>
>AP 41 (+3)
>ST 11
>DX 17 (16)
>IQ 15 (17)
>MA 10 (8)
>
>   Talents: Literacy (1), Quarterstaff (2), Missile Weapons (6).
>   Spells: 3-Hex Fire, Reverse Missiles, Lightning, 4-Hex Illusion, Remove
>Thrown Spell, Fireproofing, Mage Sight, Summon Dragonet.
>   Handicaps: Odious (2), Fear of Snakes (1).
>   Studying: Thrown Weapons, Horsemanship.
>   Typical equipment: Fine leather armor (stops 3 hits, -1 DX),
middle-class
>clothing, lower-class clothing, staff (in the form of a quarterstaff, 1+2),
>2 silver stilletos (one hidden in a boot, 1-3), 2 heal potions, wish ring,
>shoulderbag, torch, waterskin, 37 days of rations, 1-man tent, personal
>basics, his wizard's chest, and 3 spellbooks: Explosive Gem, Staff, and
>Summon Dragonet.  Cash on hand/in bank: $31,351.6.

Question: Love the character but what's AP???

If you have Interplay #5 check page 13-14 Ron Hopkin's article on
summonings.  Under class one creatures is dragonet.  Although Dave's is more
detailed.

>From my reading your list articles it seems the conclusion is, athough we
all write it differently, the negative DX adjustment for both weapon parry
and shield parry to the attacker.  This concept seems to come from
Rolemaster/MERP, at least with the weapons.  I still believe the problem
lies in shield use.  A shield should stop most of the damage tthat a target
has taken from a foe.  That's why I use the system I mentioned in an earlier
list submission.

Here's another question for you legal eagles out there.  How long does a
copyright last?