(TFT) Ax/Mace v. Sword

Stan writes:

Is there any reason this should be restricted to swords?
I suppose so for bushido fans, but I'm always leery of
upsetting the "balance of power" between swords and
axe/maces.  The fact that a lot of axe/maces can be
thrown always seemed to be nicely offset by the sword-
only Fencing talent.
And sure, quick-drawing a mace may seem odd, but so is
quickdrawing a two-handed sword.>>>>>

This is not really an answer to your statement but I don't know why they
would class two totally different weapons (AX/MACE) as a single talent.
There is a big difference between hitting a person with a mace-like weapon
as opposed to an axe.  The same could be said of the use of a mace vs. the
use of a flail, which would both be under the Ax/Mace Talent definition.
The main difference between the use of an ax or mace is a control issue when
swinging them.  The ax has a specific edged striking side, whereas, a mace
is almost club-like and generally easier to control.  Perhaps they should
two separate talents each worth 2 IQ points.

Another thing is how many player characters choose the sword and pole
weapons talent before ever choosing ax/mace.  In a real medieval society,
how common was it to have training with a sword vs. an ax or mace?  I
believe the ax/mace wins because of of the expense of buying swords as well
as social mores.

Also related to above, I don't believe there is a "balance of power" between
a sword or an ax or mace.  Swords have it all over those weapons because of
their balance, speed of use, and control in a combat situation.  Remember,
even till this century, the sword has been used as a weapon and a symbol.
The only Ax you see is Il Duce's symbol with the ax and fascine.