RE: (TFT) Attributes: 4 viewpoints

In my mind I've always admired TFT for its simplicity and elegance. My only
quibble is that they distilled things down just a little bit too far, and
made it too simplistic.

The only thing I would add, as stated before, is some sort of "Health" (HT)
or "Endurance" or "Constitution" or "Vitality" or "Stamina" or whatsoever
one wishes to call it. Having a separate measure of health is, in my not at
all humble opinion, a very important stat. It is used to determine recovery
from injuries, any saves for disease and poison (though with poison that
save is HT combined with ST, see below), all Fatigue related damage (see
below), and with DX to determine MA (and yet again, see below).

Poison saves: how much you suffer from poison is a combination of your body
mass, dosage, and general health. For example, the usual dose of venom from
a black widow spider is usually only fatal to the very young or very old. In
the case of the young, they may be healthy, but lack the body mass to deal
with the poison. The older folks may have the mass, but they lack the
general health to survive. For the rest of us, we will generally live,
though no one will enjoy it. So I figure "x" number of dice vs ST+HT. This
method, BTW, gives halflings a fighting chance, with their generally low
STs.

Fatigue: By using HT for fatigue damage, one can eliminate the spectre of 30
ST wizards, if that be a goal. You just have very HEALTHY wizards... but
that is a bit more in the traditional fantasy mold. When fatigue losses are
taken, use a variation of the wounds effects table for injuries. For
example, take 5 or more fatigue hits in one turn suffer a STRENGTH minus the
next round. If you are reduced to 3 or less HT from fatigue, you have an
adjST of -3. This does NOT affect hit points, but does affect how much you
can lift and carry, along with weapon use. This can be used very effectively
for a drawn out combat, if you assign a fatigue hit every few turns of
combat. After awhile, your heroes will be so exhausted, they will have
difficulty fighting properly, and their weapons will feel like lead weights.
More record keeping here, though, so its not for everyone. As for taking 8
or more fatigue hits in a round, allow a saving roll vs ST to remain
standing (i.e. it shouldn't be an automatic knockdown).

Movement: I don't take a generic MA anymore - I average out DX and HT and
modify by race (elves get a bonus, for example). As a sidenote, the
"Running" talent now uses HT rather than ST as a determiner.

Note that HT does NOT determine hit points, which are a function of body
mass, and thus are still considered ST. Notice that GURPS fell into this
trap. For humanoid types it works (sort of) but for larger beasts it fails.
The solution they came up with was to have two HTs, one a measure of health
and the other a measure of hit points. Clumsy, in my mind. Not only
inelegant, but not really accurate, either.

I don't think it a good idea to split everything out to a total of six
abilities; while the splits are logical, it starts turning this into
Rolemaster. As a point of fact, I'm reluctant to even add HT, but it really
does solve more problems then it creates, so I decided to make the change
anyway. However, I do find the idea of an adjusted IQ to be a good one, so
that people can accumulate a wide range of skills without having to build up
Einstein level intelligences. While IQ may not exactly correspond with "IQ"
(as in the tests you can take for fun and amusement) a really high IQ does
give other advantages besides more talents and spells, in terms of observing
things (like traps and ambushes) and so on.

By way of example, I probably have about 20 points worth of talents. But
does that mean I effortlessly find my car keys in the morning, or sense
ambushes with great ease? Hardly. So having an adjIQ system is a very good
idea as it allows people to develop a realistic range of skills without
building up unbalancingly high IQs.

Again, I am hesitant to make changes to the basic TFT system. It was simple
yet surprisingly well designed. But there are problems that, with a little
tinkering, are fairly easy to solve and don't alter the game too radically.