(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V1 #196

From: Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com>
> Silas has hit the nail on the head here.  After playing Melee/Wizard and
> some Microquests, I had the chance to play D&D with some folks who had
> some characters that had been around awhile.  It was amazingly unbalanced.
> My beginning character had problems with a couple of guards, while these
> guys breezed in, walked on hot lava, slew giants with a toothpick,
> levitated the treasure out of its hiding place, and killed all enemies
> within two miles by crossing their eyes.  (OK, I'm exaggerating a bit.)

In the one long-term TFT campaign I played in (two years at twice a week), I
occassionally had to start over after a character died (losing Indy J. Bartok
was a blow).  I always found that my new characters, though not as powerful
as the more experienced characters, always had something to contribute to
the story line.

I also remember times when playing Chivalry and Sorcery where I had
characters that were completely outmatched by the other characters (more
from my character's design than from having to start over - a non-magical
minstrel just can't compete against a king or high-level wizard), but ... the
GM did an excellent job of making things interesting. That minstrel was one
of my favorite characters, all because of GM balance and character
interaction.

So, my point is that TFT was good at keeping characters more in balance,
but any system can work well with a good GM. Even D&D.

---
Brett Slocum  --  slocum@skypoint.com  --  ICQ #13032903
Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/
"Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth Vader