Re: (TFT) Priests and virtues in Sosaria

-----Original Message-----
From: Brennan O'Brien <veilheim@yahoo.com>

<snip>
>Of all the worlds I have read about, played in, heard about, etc., the
>one I seem to be most comfortable in to run is that of Sosaria.  What's
>Sosaria?  It's the world of Lord British, the Avatar, Iolo, Geoffrey
>and Dupre -- The characters of the Ultima series of computer games from
>Origin Systems.
<snip>
>I am, however, running into a problem that I could use some help with.
>There are no "priest" characters, or gods for that matter.  Instead,
>Sosaria operates on a system of virtues.  I know how I want to deal
>with this, but not really sure how to execute it.  General thoughts and
>commentary appriciated.
>Virtue is either positive or negative.  You have (or have not) followed
>the path of the virtues.  Characters with low level faith (equivelent
>to the original talent PRIEST) have the ability to call upon the
>virtues to benefit themselves (blessings, for lack of a better term).
>For example, a PRIEST like character could call upon the virtues to
>grant themselves a temporary use of a skill.  High priests take this
>one step further and may allow their blessings to be "cast" upon other
>characters.
>Where I run into difficulty is describing how the virtues really effect
>play -- does a negative virtue (a bad guy) character only have the
>ability to use virtues for evil?  What is an evil action?
>Lastly, when all is said and done, does anyone care to see thisbeastie??
?Brennan

I loved the series of "Lord British" and began it on my lowly Commodore 64.
I still find those games far more fun than all the current emphasis on 3d
graphics
at the expense of good plots and stories.
How about restricting "negative" virtue (bad guys) to only doing "good"
affects
upon themselves, and only being able to do "bad" things to others?
ex/  They could bless or heal themselves but could only curse or damage
others.
(so to speak)  That way they could still use the beneficial talents and
spells but
be restricted in their use.
Don't know if this is what you meant but may open up new options or ideas
for
you.

Mack Brewer