Re: (TFT) TFT: Pole Weapons

dseagraves@austin.rr.com writes:

<<   After the inital charge, the weapons are
 >pretty much useless. >>

I find this pretty realistic. If you let an opponent get "under your guard"
you're in deep trouble. Why do you think rennaisance pikemen carried swords
as back-up weapons? I've seen pictures of pikemen set to receive charges.
They brace the pike against one foot and hold it with only one hand. The
other hand is holding the hilt of the sword, ready to draw it if some wise
guy gets past the pike points. I like pole weapons having an advantage at
long range and disadvantage at short range. EVERY character that I ever
designed that used a pole weapon, also had a second melee weapon (usually a
one handed ax, sword or occasionally a mace...) to back up the poleweapon. I
had a problem with the "1 weapon and shield" rule (I always thought is
reasonable to wear a weapon, and carry two more (or shield and weapon), but
as I don't have AM and ITL, I didn't know that that problem was corrected...

Seth

PS: I am looking for copies of AM and ITL - hint, hint....