Re: (TFT) Talent Packaging for TFT

From: stan rydzewski <srydzews@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Talent Packaging for TFT
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:12:19 -0400

John Paul Bakshoian wrote:

> By the way... If you were given the task of writing a talent
> package for TFT, how would you do it? (counter-challenge >here...and no, seppuku is not an option.)

A suggestion: it's already in there!  Just reverse-engineer the job
list and there's your packages.  Or check out the character-type
descriptions listed at the beginning of ITL - more packages!  It's
like Christmas in here; we got packages coming out our ears!

Thanks for the idea; I'll convert them into Talent Packages right away! (joke)

Now of course there's no cost discounts involved in TFT's packages.
But to me that's okay because I would have to throw my in with the
"Discounts? We don't need no stinking discounts" party.

OK. I understand this is not for everyone. Right now its 'just a theory' as all our house-rules are (they becomes fact when the copyright holder of TFT sanctions them.) Its even up for modification or transformation.

Now I know,
the disadvantages are supposed to help balance the cost, but "loyalty
to ship and crew" as a disadvantage?  What if the character resigns
his commission and heads for dry land? Does he have to pay that point back somehow?

Stan

As GM, I wouldn't have him pay it back. He already bought the package and is a member of the Captain's Guild. If he renounces his membership in the Captain's Guild, then I would think about having him pay it back somehow. Perhaps taking on another disadvantage or using his next set of experience points to buy out the package? I haven't thought it out that far, but its not an unsermountable problem.

On another note; did you know that there are only 39 official jobs a non-wizard can be paid to do? That's right. Doesn't matter if the character is a mayor, tinkerer, barrister, archeologist, or some other such job...he doesn't get employed. (OK, I'm being a little narrow here.) Yes a lot of characters will fit into what's listed in ITL:26, but that can't be the end all of employment. I look at Talent Packages as an interned career with a guild that you will owe a duty to. You can go in and out of jobs; you usually commit to a career.

Stan, thanks for commenting.

Hail Melee,
John Paul