(TFT) copyright

Dear Stan
in the Orig, D&D to AD&D crossover, one would have thought that the
Tolkienites would have considered the term 'halfling' copyright as well. I
could never figure that out. The funniest story concerning this was in
White Dwarf 12 (?or 9?) when Don Turnbull was reviewing the AD&D 1st ed.
players' handbook and came to the conclusion that hobbits had been replaced
by gnomes.
Anyway, I digress completely here (though I've been nosing around my old
WDs for conversion material to TFT......
Cas