Re: (TFT) HT's other system

>> I'd LOVE to know what happened to that game!
>
>My guess is that it became the UnderEarth series.

Yes, it did.

Though I'm not fond of UnderEarth, which I felt was rushed and badly
presented, Howard had a point about TFT. Role playing often does not
require the depth of tactical capability that Melee provided -- and in
fact it often isn't desirable at all. That is the main problem I have
with GURPS -- the system has been driven by the detail and tactics crowd
to the point where the simplicity and ease of preparation and play has
suffered tremendously.

Our COMPACT COMBAT game is analogous to Melee/Wizard and Advanced
Melee/Advanced Wizard, but for our SIMPLY ROLEPLAYING full RPG system,
we're providing a much more laid-back and abstract package (which is 100
percent compatible and uses the same stats and basic task resolution
mechanics). Gamemasters will be able to use the supertactical system
where appropriate (for highly tactics-oriented situations) and "relax"
back to the SIMPLY combat systems where close order tactics aren't what
is called for by the situation.

We believe this is the best way to address the needs of today's market.
Time will tell if we have chosen correctly.

Guy McLimore / guymc@evansville.net
MicroTactix Games
http://microtactix.gamingoutpost.com