(TFT) Rifles

Stan stated,

<<<Hey, it's not impossible!  (Improbable, I'll grant you.)  While arequebi
of course were smoothbores, rifled weapons for hunting do go back some ways.
And then the smoothbore weapon with the fast loading times could have double
the normal missile weapon range penalties.>>>

The idea of cutting grooves in a weapon began in Germany or Austria in the
1500s.  Rifling in a weapon was mostly considered a novelty (toy) until the
18th century.   By this century,  the Germans and the Germans, who settled
Pennsylvania, started manufacturing rifles for hunting.  Although the rifle
was used during the RevWar, it does not become a true military weapon until
the invention of the Minie ball, which speed up loading.  As far as speed
goes, a typical rifleman could fire rapidly enough to fire two times a
minute if you left out aiming.  If you have a weapon that can easily hit a
target at 150 yds. away, a rifleman would be stupid not to take his/her
time.  I would say a rifle would take 5 turns to load and one to fire (from
personal experience).  To shoot a myth down in flames, the American rifleman
did not win the RevWar it was typical 18th century military linear tactics
that did using muskets.  Towards the end of the war, Washington at times
would take the rifle away from those soldiers and turn them into musketmen.

<<<In the matter of gunlocks I think it's entirely reasonable for a GM to
either
say "flintlocks exist" (in which case the matchlocks and wheellocks are
quaint
antiques) or "flintlocks don't exist".  Given all the dwarves and
mechanicians
and miscellaneous psychopaths running around on Cidri, flintlocks could
easily
have been around for some time.  Or not.  >>>>

Agreed!!!!

Yours in Cidri,
Justin