Re: (TFT) Encumbrance and weight

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, John Paul Bakshoian wrote:

> I did give dwarves a benefit on DX impairment due to their strength they
> have.  Armor Adjustment: dwarves can carry double the load, therefore he
> should be able to carry armor better.  Add ST x .5 to your Strength for
> purposes of determining armor DEX (per Strength advantage  ITL P.9)  Example
>   JoDwarf  ST=14
>                         DX=12  (9)
>                         IQ=10
>                         Chain  stops (3)
>                         MA=6
> Dwarf can carry double the load.  ST 14 x .5 = 7.  14 + 7 = 21.
> Look up 21 Strength in Strength Advantage (ITL p 9).  I don't have that with
> me right now, but if it allowed him to carry it with one less encumbrance,
> his dex would be at (10) instead of lowered to (9).

I hadn't thought of this before, I think its an excellent idea!

> I like the idea of stuff in the pack seeming to weigh less.

Perhaps Stan alluded this earlier, I dunno (i accidentally nuked
his quote), but it seems to me that stuff in the pack is more
like 'dead' weight but things which are worn have a different
feel because the distribution of the weight is different.

I think I recall reading somewhere that knights in full plate
had to be put on horseback by a crane - they were *that* heavy!
Yet they could walk around, fight, etc (just not for long periods
of time.)  Unwieldiness aside, a person of ST 12 could probably
walk around in a suit of armor ok but probably would not have
the ST needed to pick it up and carry it home.

A better representation of armor would probably have to include
the fatigue factor in some way - a figure would lose fST over
time just from carrying the armor around.  Then there's getting
wounded on top of that ...

It seems to me that some kind of a table could be drawn up where
if a character has lost enough fST (due to actual physical fatigue)
and enough actual ST (due to damage), that they should not be
allowed to wear armor which reduces their DX by a given amount.
If they are wearing more than that, they must fall down and can
only crawl from that point until they remove enough armor.

Does this idea make sense to anyone?

Dan Tulloh
daniel@jaws.greatwhite.com