Re: (TFT) Rule of Five

Pasha and or Rick Smith wrote:

>         I would stick with the first 5 items because otherwise
> you could turn off a cursed item by putting on 5 new items.

A good point.  I've actually been working on this matter, trying to
formalize some of Advanced Wizard's fast n' loose definitions
regarding items.  Some extensions have proved necessary to nail down
a few vague points in the AW rules.  Here's a draft of what I've come
up with.

Activation Points
Magic Items have a natural "activation point" which is dependent on the
item's *form*, regardless of what enchantments are on it.  For instance,
a ring's activation point is on a finger.  Items that are at their
activation point are referred to as "equipped" and may be used.  Other
items (a ring in your pocket, a weapon in a scabbard, etc.) are "inert"
and do not function.

The rule of five is a limit on equipped items.  For instance, a
character can carry around a dozen magic rings in a belt pouch.  As long
as the rings are in the pouch they are inert and have no impact on the
character's rule of five calculations.

A magical item that requires no ST expenditure to function, such as a
blur ring, activates whenever it is equipped.  Items requiring ST
expenditure to function must be equipped before such an expenditure is
even possible (i.e., you can't spend ST to activate the spellsniffer
ring in your pocket).  Items requiring a ST expenditure count against
the rule of five limit even if no ST is currently being expended on
them?the rule of five is a limit on equipped items, not activated ones.

Activation points are tied to the form of an item.  The enchanting
wizard does not usually have any control over this, and can not, for
instance, make a ring that only activates on a left hand or in someone's
pocket.

 Examples of activation points:
  jewelry, clothing, or armor: worn (properly...cloaks on your
                           head or rings on your toes do not count)
  weapon, rod, tool, etc.: in hand and readied
  chair or carpet: sat upon
  misc. small item, such as a statuette: in hand

Missiles
Missiles and weapons that can be thrown are unique in that they have two
activation points:  in the hand or in the AIR. An enchantment must be
"assigned" to one point or the other.  Enchantments that activate "in
the air" deliver the spell effect to their target.  For instance, if you
want to make a Drop Weapon arrow you specify "activates in the air" when
you put the Drop Weapon spell on it.  When the arrow is fired and hits,
it will zap the target with a Drop Weapon effect.   Note that items
activating "in the air" do not count against the rule of five limit of
either the firer or the target.  The item is activating in the air; it's
the effect is that is hitting the target--just as if a wizard had cast a
spell.  The item only serves as a conduit to bring the spell to him.

You could have a +1 to-hit arrow that additionally affects the target
with a Drop Weapon spell.  In such a case the Weapon/Armor enchantment
activates "in the hand" and the Drop Weapon "in the air". Note that such
an arrow would count against the archer's rule of five limit, because of
the Weapon/Armor enchantment?which always activates "in the hand".

Uncontrolled Items
A few items function constantly, even if not equipped by anybody.  Items
enchanted by the Rope, Shadow, Dispel Illusions, Slippery Floor, and
Sticky floor enchantments fall into this category, and are known as
"uncontrolled items".  The item can also have normal enchantments, for
which the normal activation point rules apply.  Note that enchantments
which produce uncontrolled items have no corresponding Immunity
enchantments.

Cursed and Trap Items
Items described as placing harmful spells on whoever equips them are
annoying, but normally one can put down or take off the offending
device.  There is an additional enchantment, "Can't Put It Down", that
can be added to such items to make them more difficult to be rid of.
CPID is an  $1100/25 ST/2 week/$50 ci  lesser item enchantment.  Like a
Limiting Spell, the cost is the same regardless of the number of other
enchantments on the item.

CPID can be added to any item (other than uncontrolled items), but of
course it will generally be used to make "trap" items such as Slow
Movement boots that won't come off.  An "in the air" activation point is
obviously NOT COMPATIBLE with this enchantment?no one's holding the item
when the activation occurs, so there's no one to afflict with "Can't Put
It Down".  [Which is why a drop weapon arrow can be freely removed.]

Note that there's no exception to the rule of five for magical "traps"
such as the Slow Movement boots mentioned above.  If you're stuck with
wearing such boots, you can only equip four other items.  Conversely, if
you had five items equipped when you put the boots on they would not
activate; no magic item would. Note that equipping five items does not
make you immune to the effects of items that activate in the air, as
outlined above.

Items enchanted with the Curse spell do not need to have the CPID
enchantment added, the effects of Curse include the inability of the
owner to remove the item.

(That's it so far.  Any comments?)