(TFT) Re: Americans and history, Duh!

Jim stated,

<<<From time to time I like to quiz my students on history. Last year on
December 7th I asked what the historical significance of that day was. One
girl in the back of the room exclaimed " I know, I know: its' Arbor day!"
Confused I said: "Arbor day isn't until the Spring." By then another student
had solved the dilema by answering: "December 7th is when the Japanese
attacked Hawaii."
This caused the first student to give the defensive reply of: "Yeah, and
they sank all the ships in the arbor!">>>>

The thing we all need to remember about history is it is concept-based as
opposed to skill-based.  Because of this, to most folks, this incidental
stuff of facts is not important and there is nothing wrong with that flaw.
What is important is that we give a base, no matter how meaningful or
remembered, to create good citizens.  Yes, as Seth said, Americans for the
most part are historically illiterate but no more than any other human
nation on earth.  I teach history and my personal objective is to teach
these 7th graders a love for their past through relationships and not just
through dry facts.  In interpreting at a living history museum for five
years, I can't tell you how often I heard the phrase, "I never liked history
until I came here."   The reason for this is they have just received a
personal relationship for the past.

I know this has nothing to do with TFT but this started with a comment Seth
made to one of my articles on the list.

Yours in Cidri and History (American or not),
Justin

Everyone else has a quote either about TacoBell or about hiding behind
ladies, here's mine.

Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it!   George Santayana
1905