(TFT) Shields

For awhile when my group was playing TFT, I was mulling over the idea that a
shield made one harder to hit instead of blocking damage.  The direction I
was going is that having Shield talent + a small shield forced one attacker
to roll an extra die - i.e., a 3/DX roll became a 4/DX roll.  A larger
shield didn't force an attacker to roll 2 dice, it forced 2 attackers to
roll an extra die.  A tower shield affected 3 attackers.  I wanted to impose
a movement and DX penalty for carrying larger shields in the interest of
game balance.  Before I could really work this out into a finished rule
(ready for play-testing), the group started doing something else.

I think this is closer to the way shields really work, but it could also
drag combats out longer.  I'd be interested to know if anyone else has come
up with something like this, or what you think of this approach.