(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V1 #260

>From: hhermit@qni.com (Jeffrey May)
>Subject: (TFT) Shields
>   For awhile when my group was playing TFT, I was mulling over the idea
that
>a shield made one harder to hit instead of blocking damage.  The direction I
>was going is that having Shield talent + a small shield forced one attacker
>to roll an extra die - i.e., a 3/DX roll became a 4/DX roll.  A larger
>shield didn't force an attacker to roll 2 dice, it forced 2 attackers to
>roll an extra die.  A tower shield affected 3 attackers.  I wanted to impose
>a movement and DX penalty for carrying larger shields in the interest of
>game balance.
>   I think this is closer to the way shields really work, but it could also
>drag combats out longer.  I'd be interested to know if anyone else has come
>up with something like this, or what you think of this approach.
    I think that shields tend to do exactly that.  They prevent many
otherwise serious blows from doing damage.  This tends to drag out combat.
Combat without armor is often to the first landed blow of any real import.
After that, in one-on-one combat, the wounded party is at a disadvantage that
is not easily overcome.  A second blow makes the fights outcome certain.
    After all, the whole point of armor is to allow the wearer to function,
or at least survive, in a hostile, otherwise incapacitating (or worse)
environment.  That applies to shields, plate mail, kevlar, and space suits.
    At least, that is my take on this.
    I like the way you added a die for the attacker facing a shielded
opponent.  I think this might be adapted to other systems as well.  It seems
simpler to impliment than my house rule, and just as effective.  Thanks for
the idea Jeff.
Sincerely,
John Hill