Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V1 #288

Names can be a real drag.  Players can really hound you should you come up
with a bad one.  I once had a cleric whose last name was Anhaus... :-o
...never again.  What can I say, I was 12 at the time.  Unfortunately I have
a strong unconscious tendency to come up with alliterations and puns, really
stupid ones.

As far as chemical-sounding names go, try the Physicians' Desk Reference for
pharmaceuticals or any other drug reference or list of pharmaceuticals.  I
used to be an MRT and had to consult these damn things all the time.  There
are some real humdingers in there, in an especially cheezy sci-fi vein,
really!

I think repeating the name aloud about 20 times can help identify any hidden
flaws but God-only-knows the players will be happy to point out anything you
missed.  My wife kids me to this day about that famous woman game designer,
Liz Ardman.

Actually I find the name tables in GURPS supplements to be helpful.  In fact,
the Anglo-Saxon Names Table was best part of Middle Ages I (it was the only
part I kept).  That's where I got the "Tostwicg" character's name I submitted
to Brennan.

Jody