Re: (TFT) The Copyright Monster Again

I've been on lists for the longest time. Mostly roleplaying. The champions list is the first to come to mind. People are constantly posting champions version of characters from other comic books. The Fengshui list is also doing the same from movies and books and other games. I dont understand the problem. I mentioned The origin of the system. Its not like im tryin to make money off of it or anything?

do you ALL object This strongly to me posting characters from other systems?

----Original Message Follows----
From: "David Michael Grouchy II" <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) The Copyright Monster Again
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 01:20:17 CST

Justin,
    Acording to the letter I recieved from the Library of Congress on the
subject, "The idea for a game can not be copyrighted, on the particular
maner of artistic expression."  In point of fact their is an allowance to
copy a small amount of material verbatum if it is used in a derivative work.
 The working principal behind this is that copyrights were invented to
"advance the arts and sciences", not to make people rich.  Thus, if you
print a monster from one game in the  format of a different game, it is both
artisticaly diferent from the original, and a derivative.
    This in no way constitutes legal advice.  In the event of an actual law
suit you should contact your own lawyer.  I want to go on record now stating
that I don't even remember writing this post.

    David Michael Grouchy II