(TFT) introduction

Hi,
I tried to join this list a few weeks back but apparently that attempt didn't take, so here's another go. My first experience with RPGs was in'74 -- a first edition of D&D. I didn't understand the rules but liked the idea. D&D was soon followed by EPT, a much neater world than that of D&D. The Fantasy Trip provided the first set of roleplaying rules which made sense to me, and I really liked the solitaire microquests. The truth is I rarely played the various RPGs, instead I read the rules and modules, as a sort of metafiction, and daydreamed about playing. Then, around ten years ago, in a fit of housecleaning, I threw or gave away all the RPG material I'd accumulated over the years. Last Fall, one day, I wandered into a local gaming store, Crazy Egor's, where I found a rack displaying old Metagaming's various microgames. I bought Melee and a couple of microquests and was hooked again. While searching the internet for other The Fantasy Trip items I stumbled into Ty Beard's site and from there to here. So far I've found all the microquests, both Underearths (I've been playing the microquests with rules cobbled from Melee, Dragons of Underearth, and the house rules from Ty's site.), Melee, about one third of the issues of The Space Gamer which contain tft related articles, a few other magazines, Tollenkar's Lair, the Codex and Fantasy Master's screen, and all four Gamelords modules. The most expensive items have been the magazines. (And, I hate to admit, one night when I was way too tired to think straight, I decided to CUT the tft articles from the magazines in order to include them in my binder notebooks!) Other items have cost between $4 and $15. And I've filled four binder notebooks with material printed from the tft archives. Currently I am having fun with Warren Dew's The Crown of Kings. Has anyone else played his programed adventure? I am particularly interested in such homebrewed programed adventures. I would really love to find copies of the microquests from Fantasy Forum, and Forest Johnson's article, 'Minor Institutions of Cidri'. (Oh, and Van Campbell's articles on Barsoom for tft, and Howard Trump's 'Making Solitaire Adventures', and Harry White's 'Coming of Age in Cidri', and... Let's be honest, I want it ALL!) Here are two IQ7 talents I've found useful: Nothing is more annoying than to be all hepped up for a good fight only to have your opponent roll 3 or 4 and cut your favorite character down in his/her prime, so... Luck. Cost: 2IQ. allows a character, once per adventure session, to ignore the worse effects of a critical hit against him; ie treat an opponent's roll to hit of 3 or 4 as 5 -- still does damage, but not double or triple damage. Luck does not count against fencing skill. Grace. Cost 2IQ. Can be applied once per adventure session. Gives a player character the panache to turn a total flub into less disastrous results -- treat a roll of 17 or 18 as 16. A warrior will still miss but does not drop or break his weapon. The quality of grace is probably of more use to wizards; let the player improvise a description of how the spell's energies are misdirected, as long as the results are not to the caster's advantage.

                              Respectfully,
                              Pat Keleher