Re: (TFT) an encounter in Cliportage

"grabowski" <grabowski@erols.com> wrote:
> Question???  What do the people that own Simply Roleplaying on the list
> think of the game????

I've gotten a copy of the rules, but have not had much time to read through
them.  I have Compact Warrior and Sorcerer, though, and am much impressed.

There are things I don't care for, such as the fact that a die roll is
part of the character generation, so I usually choose a value to use
consistently every time I need a roll.  It's not Melee/Wizard, but it
wasn't meant to be.  There's a bit more depth to the characters, and
I think this is because the Compact modules were designed specifically
to ramp up to a bigger RPG.

I've never been much on non-TFT systems, since after learning TFT as
my first RPG, the others always seemed to lack the elegance of TFT.
This seems to happen because most game systems try to model a particular
style of combat as closely as possible.  TFT was happy being an abstraction
of physical or magical combat.  I always thought that TFT got the mechanics
done in such a way to make the playing fun and to not let them get in the
way of a good story.

I think SR has that same feel to it, and could become a classic in the
field if such a thing is possible some 25 years or so into RPGs.

I'm also greatly impressed with the adjunct products MicroTactix have
put out.  If you do any miniature gaming at all, even simply as layouts
that are a bit more detailed than maps, you should grab a copy of their
"Vyllage-on-the-Cheep" set.  Lots of cardboard buildings scaled for 25mm
figures that can really help set the mood.