Re: (TFT) ebay

Well, I can't say anything about ebay, so this may be good advice
as far as that particular venue goes.  However, I feel I should
speak up regarding the newsgroups rec.games.board.marketplace and
rec.games.frp.marketplace.  As of a few months ago, money orders
were the rule there but I was only ripped off by one seller in
well over fifty purchases I made from various people.  While I
obviously can't quibble with Michael's experience, I'm just saying
that this was MY experience and don't write off the newsgroups as
some sorts of dens of iniquity just because the people there use
money orders.

But anyway, isn't Paypal increasingly the way to go for these sorts
of transactions?  I haven't used it but it seems like the easiest
way to do this for all concerned.
<

I think before eBay the newsgroups were about the only way to go, and I've
heard mixed results - I've never bought anything from a newgroup - but I
think the philosophy might be a little different. With newsgroups you might
have a better chance of talking to die-hard collectors that the predators
that are on eBay.  But with eBay, I can't see any reason to support a money
order only transaction.

I tried out a service similar to Paypal before (Virtual Credit or something
like that), the problem was that not enough people used it before it went
out of business. So it was honored, but ultimately it didn't distribute
widely enough to be very useful outside the few vendors that had it.

For my money I'll wait until it becomes more widespread before I'll try
something like that again...

Michael