Re: (TFT) TFT: Too Many Digests

Dave sez:

>Dan writes . . .
>
>>Actually, there are many reality justifications for this.
>>The simple reason is that you can learn faster in a master/
>>student or peer environment than in trying to learn by
>>yourself.  Why is this?  Just think of the many blind alleys,
>>dead ends and dangerous destructive activities you could
>>avoid if you just had some place where you could discuss
>>magical philosophy with others who understood the subject!
>>So I suggested that one way to represent that might be to
>>provide an experience bonus to Guild members.
>
>   I wouldn't give an experience bonus (I fear everyone and
>their grandmother signing up to be guild wizards) but you're
>on to something here.  I suggest instead cutting the time
>required for all magic related tasks (except spellcasting)
>by 10%.

Another thing you might try is forcing non-Guild members to
go through the spell-research process each time they want to
learn a new spell.  Consider this scenario:

Rexor has earned enough experience points to bump his IQ up
a point to 11, so he decides he's going to add Reverse Missiles
to his repertoire.  Not being a member of a Guild, he doesn't
have access to all of the neat library resources, people to
speak to, etc.  His only hope of acquiring the spell therefore
is to either: A) learn it for himself, or B) be lucky enough
to acquire it on some adventure.  He could also try to buy it
or bribe some Guild member for it, an act which has its own
adventure seeds built into it.

This also provides a reason why magical script tends to
disappear from parchment once it is read( a-la AD&D).  It is
a built in scheme by the Guild to prevent magical spells from
being pirated(copied) and distributed to non-Guild members.

Guild membership could be determined by some indelible mark,
perhaps a unique tatoo.  This could provide its own adventure
seeds as well.

>   Of course this could be extended to apply to all other
>types of guild memberships.  Now characters would have a
>decent reason to join a guild.

Except perhaps some kind of warriors guild.  There are two
ways of acquiring talent with a blade: a) lots of practice
(drilling) or b) actual combat.  Warriors joining a guild
(or army) may get some ability to learn combat skills in a
non-lethal environment.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Dan