Re: (TFT) TFT: Learning Spells

>Dan writes . . .
>
>>Another thing you might try is forcing non-Guild members
>>to go through the spell-research process each time they
>>want to learn a new spell.
>
>   Yuck!  That is very time consuming and expensive just to
>learn a spell that already exists, even after first watching
>someone else cast it and then reverse-engineering it.

Admittedly it would probably be faster to learn the spell
after watching someone do it.  But it shouldn't be as easy to
pick up as it would be if they learned it in a Guild.

If the Wizard's Guild gave you some kind of indelible mark
when you entered, there would be no 'quitting' the Guild -
you'd be marked for life.

>   I admit that what you propose is somewhat interesting, but
>does this really add anything to a campaign?  I imagine this
>would just be annoying to players who play wizards.

I dunno, I was just tossing out idea on the possible advantages
and disadvantages of Guild membership.

>>>   Of course this could be extended to apply to all
>>>other types of guild memberships.  Now characters would
>>>have a decent reason to join a guild.
>>
>>Except perhaps some kind of warriors guild.  There are
>>two ways of acquiring talent with a blade: a) lots of
>>practice (drilling) or b) actual combat.  Warriors joining
>>a guild (or army) may get some ability to learn combat
>>skills in a non-lethal environment.
>
>So how would this keep warriors from learning weapon talents
>faster because of Warriors' Guild membership?  Wouldn't help
>and advice from seasoned veterans at the Guildhall be just as
>good as the same from experienced wizards at the Wizards'
>Guildhall?

Hmmmm...good point.  When I made the above comment, I was
thinking of a guild as a more of a 'research library' kind
of arrangement.  But there's no reason why a karate dojo
couldn't qualify as a guild either.

I think the basic point remains: Guild membership ought to
provide some tangible benefit.  Im not sure the 'no cost'
rule in ITL (I forget the page number you mentioned) is a
good idea - I can't think of a single present-day counterpart
which doesn't require some kind of upfront fee.

Dan