Re: (TFT) TFT: Expert Weapon Talents

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:24:06 -0700

	Hi all,

	I feel the same way about Expert Swordsman and Defensive Q.
If the prerequisites and or the corequisites were much higher I would
feel better about the talent.

With out a doubt GM's will have to adjust the prereq's and coreq's to there likeing if they allow such a skill. Including training time, and finding teachers, does the skill even fit the character ?

But I like the skill, to me it's a valid progression of skill levels.
5:1 is not a unreasonable a ratio for a talented amateur (DX13) vs a expert with a boatload of actual combat experience (DX13).

I've used the skill in game play (OK I'm biased) and it is a great advantage in combat BUT:
 1)It only works when using a sword. Put me HTH and I lose my advantage
2)Doesn't work against missile weapons. Ever been caught in the open by a squad of expert archers ? It stinks !
 3)Without a mage in the group, guess who becomes the #1 target ?
4)Pretty simple to cut through a single enlisted man, but what happens when there are two, and one defends ? 5)Those enlisted men delay me long enough for their officer to show up who just happens to be an expert swordsman.

Their is obvious room for abuse by players and GM's. But to my knowledge stock TFT lacks the rules to show skill progression. If anybody else has any ideas on skill progression (not attribute progression) I'd love to hear them.

Dominic