Re: (TFT) zombies and skeletons again

Cas Liber wrote:

> > My take on this was always that if you made a zombie
> > and used a zombie ring it would never change, but if
> > you instead went the route of occasionally pumping
> > additional strength into them so that they're constantly
> > decaying with occasional toughening, eventually the
> > dessicated remains would become skeletons.
>
> -yeah, yeah, but as an animated skeleton or just inanmiate
> one,

I'm assuming in my statement that the wiz is occasionally
pumping more ST in, so of course it's an animated skeleton.
If it runs out of ST through the 1/day decay, then its
just a pile of bones and grue.

> and what ST?

Ten ST expended by the caster yields either a 10 ST skelelton
or a 10 ST Zombie, it's not as if Zombies get a multiplier on
expended ST or anything.  So the critter's ST wouldn't change
when it changed over from being a zombie to an (animated) skeleton.

Bow your heads and hear the words of the Holy Book (ITL) on this
matter:

"ZOMBIE...A new Zombie may appear to be a rotting corpse,
but one that has been around for a while will be no more
than a skeleton held together by a few streands of dry tendon."

"SKELETON: A skeletal warrior is a type of Zombie.  A Skeleton may
be created by use of a ZOMBIE spell oon an intact skeleton.  A
Zombie which has been kept alive for so long that all its flesh
has disappeared will eventually become a Skeleton.  This usually
takes several years."

(My only real addendum to that is I think if you use a Zombie
 ring the undead remains a Zombie forever.  To my mind, it's the
 constant losing of ST, countered by occasional infusions of added
 ST from the wiz, that causes the transformation to (animated)
 skeleton.  The ring circumvents the need for all that.)