(TFT) TFT: Random Mage Spells

Michael writes . . .

>How do you GM's determine spells for NPC wizards in
>TFT?

   Hey Mike.  Good question.  A few months ago I came up with a system for
creating random NPCs, including wizards and non-wizards with only one spell.
   After randomly determining the wizard's /education/ (a temporary variable
that is the number of IQ points of spells he has) I then randomly roll to
determine the IQ prerequisite of each spell he knows -- an even chance for
each level.  For each spell I then roll two dice on its particular IQ to see
what the exact spell is.
   For example, here's the table for IQ 8 spells:

IQ 8
 1 Detect Magic
 2 Image
 3 Light
 4 Summon Dragonet
 5 Blur
 6 (Unknown)
 7 Slow Movement
 8 Drop Weapon
 9 Magic Fist
10 Staff

   In this particular case there are ten spells, so 1d10 is rolled twice.
If the wizard is a fighter-type (i.e. a martial wizard) then I use the
greater of the two rolls, otherwise I give him the lower.
   "(Unknown)" means I assign the wiz a previously-unknown spell from the
list of new spells which aren't listed in /Advanced Wizard/, but are the
ones I've collected from /Interplay/ and some of you guys here on the list.
   My system goes into a little more detail, but that's the gist of it.  The
system for assigning random talents is similar.

Dave Seagraves
Seagraves Design Bureau   dseagraves@austin.rr.com   1 (512) 255-2760
Taco Bell -- the criminal organization of the fast food industry