(TFT) TFT @ L.A. Game Convention

Over Labor Day Weekend (U.S. Holiday), I hosted a Saturday Night The Fantasy Trip game at the GateWay 2000 Game Convention at L.A. Airport.

This was a miniatures version of the game that was advertised in the Con Sign Up Flyer and the Event Book. It read:

"Kili's Heroes - 25mm using Fantasy Trip Miniatures Role Playing System. During the campaign of the Overlord, Kili learned of a fortune in gold bars that the Evil Ones have stashed in a small Frankish town. Kili's dwarven platoon plans a surprise attack on Claymont, 30 miles behind enemy lines. Equipment provided."

I'll describe the game in another posting.

What was great bout this convention was unknown to me until way after my Fantasy Chess tournament. In the event brochure for Friday night miniatures:

"Fantasy Trip Dungeon Skirmish - 25mm fantasy skirmish. Up to 8 players. How long can 8 bold adventurers last in a dungeon filled with nasty creatures? Find out in this skirmish level 3-D dungeon."

Over the weekend I sought out the 2 kids who hosted the game (they are about your age Andrew). I couldn't find them, but I did manage to talk to their father, a long time Fantasy Trip campaigner. He taught his kids to play and they hosted that game. We talked of his previous campaigns and TFT in general. Perhaps we will coordinate a game next con (mid February). I also told him about our TFT website.

All through recruiting players and during the Kili's Heroes game, I had gamers say that they remember TFT (usually with comments like 'loved the game, but have'nt played it in decades.) Michael Taylor was there as well as 2 others who had played TFT before. We trained 3 others on how to play.

I would say that with a slight concerted effort and more word of mouth, Los Angeles Conventions could have a resurgance of TFT players wanting that next game.

Hail Melee

John Paul Bakshoian

P.S. Had to move in August just before the con, then get a new computer hook-up. I've just now gone on-line.