Re: (TFT) orbs

> 1) While having one may directly grant the wielder certain
> powers, it probably isn't their main function.  It would be
> silly to just give 'artifact' level items to wizards (aka
> megalomaniacs) and just hope that they won't decide to go
> their own way with them.   (Either that or there must be
> some way for Thorsz Central to shut them down, which
> evidently they can't....of course, such things can perhaps
> be circumvented...)

I'm not so sure that the 'average' TFT Wizard can afford to be a
megalomaniac. Part of the charm of the system is that wizards pretty much
have to stick together to accomplish the big works (apprentices, more than
single enchantments, high ST costs, etc.).

The communication thing may be why it's possible to find them, even though
they're no longer under direct control.

> 2) What I'm thinking is that perhaps the globes allow
> their wielders to share power in some way--for instance,
> say you had fifty border outposts, each with a controlling

Cool idea. I wonder how it stacks up, rules-wise (can you Aid through a
Gate? [but Gates don't move...]). Not that anyone has to stick to the
rules...

> 3) Orbs and the Rule of Five...hm...needs more thinking.  But
> I will say that if the orbs break (or 'bend') the rule in some
> way that may be the key to why accumulating a number of them
> is so potentially powerful.

I'm of a mind now that perhaps the Orbs are more than a single item, perhaps
an orb within an orb, etc.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com