(TFT) TFT: Magic Item Creation

Michael writes . . .

>Though this does remind me. The TFT magic item creation system seems
>to be the most jumbled and illogical mess in an otherwise amazingly
>elegant and straightforward system. Has anyone found anything better?
>Or does the benefit listed above *require* the magic-item creation
>system to be so disorganized?

   Hey!  Dem's fightin' werds!
   Mike, what problems do you have with the magic item creation system in
Advanced Wizard?  Seems pretty okay to me.  I imagine it could stand some
improvement but I wouldn't know where to start.
   Now the range modifier system in Advanced Melee -- /that's/ messed up.
/Four/ different mechanics to determine a DX penalty due to range: One for
Missile Weapons/Spells, one for Thrown Weapons, one for Lobbing Molotails
and Gas Bombs, and one for Long-Distance Missile Weapons.  Pretty clumsy,
but this was back in the days before unified logarithmic range scales.  (See
my solution here . . .)

http://tft.brainiac.com/cgi-bin/wilma_hiliter/tft/9907/msg00297.html?line=12
1#hilite

>Create Gate will let you cast spells through the gate (IMHO). You
>can set up ANY rules you want when you create the gate. If you can
>create it so that it only activates when something living comes
>through AND you can stick your head through the gate and pull it
>back it seems to be flexible enough to all the rule "Always Activate
>and allows Spells To Go Through it."

   Sounds good to me.  Might as well make gates see-through as well, which
by extension could make them /invisible/ -- walk right through a gate
without realizing it.  This opens up some possibilities, like a virtual
tunnel that has one entrance in Dran and another in some far-off place.  A
Spellsniffer spell would have to be used to find out exactly where the gate
is along the "tunnel."

Pfc. Dave Seagraves   101st Airborne Division
Texas Military Historical Society (WWII reenactors)
Sniper squad forming to defeat the krauts -- join us!
1 (512) 835-7527   http://members.aol.com/txmhs