Re: (TFT) Math of Demon Towers --> Too expensive!

Pasha and or Rick Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>         Here is my take at the demon tower.

<much "I'm a mean GM" stuff snipped>

>         A smaller version of this where a rock
> only falls for 30 seconds or so could be safer and
> would still make a powerful artillery piece for
> bombarding castle walls.  Such a device would
> have the rock pass thru 5 or so gate and would
> fire rocks at around 300 meters per second
> (neglecting air resistance).  Of course the wizard
> would have to get close enough to the castle wall
> to cast the final targeting gate.

Not all _that_ close, since the range of such a missle could be
considerable.

>         One thing people have not considered
> is the difficulty of hitting a 3m square target
> after falling 1000 meters.  How would we steer
> our demon or rock while it is falling this
> distance?  If our missile touched the side of
> the tube it would rattle back and forth wiping
> out the tube, and if we make the fall a much
> smaller distance (say 15 meters) then the
> number of gate passages increases sharply
> greatly increasing the cost.

I confess to relying on the constancy of gravitic attraction, but I
suppose some sort of repulsion could be arranged between the tube and
the object.  Although it might be interesting to have your wizards (my
wizards, I suppose; your wizards would be laundering the demon out of
their robes) only activate this thing during some sort of
planetary/solar/lunar alignment, to minimize drift in the tube.