Re: (TFT) elvish licentiousness

>An elvish quarter could yield teachers of Sex Appeal and Charisma, as well
>as alchemist specializing in love potions etc. Glamour was always big in
>fairy folktales too, though then again, the elves that generally cast it
>were unseemly dusky or dark elves (traditional, not RPG term here), so
>maybe
>that would be the preserve of hobgoblins, svarts, orcs or dwarves.
>
>Just some thoughts......
>Cas

     One stretch of the imagination holds that Elves are the isolated
pockets of the fallen Roman empire.  After Rome's collapse, regional lords
or local governors could still be holding things in High Roman fashion.
This would include fair looking clothes, noble music, and yes licentious
decadence.  With this approach Elves are prone to dreaming about the glory
of the past, singing long complicated songs, and possess superior weapons
and equipment that can no longer be produced.

     David Michael Grouchy II

     "

This is intresting. King Authur has been called the last Roman king in
Britan and we all know how strongly that knigdom was tied to the land of
farie.

I heard this lady on NPR the other night (yes I listen allot) and she was an
Irish story teller who was at a festival in Canada. She was telling a story
about a type of banshee (I forget the name) that would fall in love with
mortal men and if they looked into her eyes then they would be taken away
until they grew old and all that would be left for them was to wander the
country side.

It seems to me that the farie don't try to harm man intentionally, rather
that their lifestyles (?) are incompatable. Like what happens to a mortal if
they enter a farie ring. The faire are just partying but the mortal can't
keep up. Maybe they were saying that only the farie can handel their drugs.

Another intresting thing that she mentioned in that story was that to ward
off farie one could put iron in one pocket and salt in the other. Now iron
makes perfect since via magic in TFT, but salt? And I'd heard this before in
other cultures like part of killing a vampire in the caribiean is to sew its
mouth closed packed with sea salt. And salt was very important in Roman
culture. "Worth his salt" is an old Roman saying and this importance
translated through feudal culture. A person who was "below the salt" was not
important. Oddness.

Jay
"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you."
Jack Handey