Re: (TFT) New spell, is IQ level good?

Rich Smith wrote . . .

New spell, Is the IQ level good?

This years award for most original spell goes to Mr. Richard Smith. The mechanics behind this spell are eerily like the effects of the spell itself. "Deep shadow as if lit by dim indirect lights."

Knee jerk reactions aside, to answer the question 'Is the IQ level good?', the short answer is NO. It is too high. I recommend IQ 12. Now for the long answer.

How I decided the IQ:
I try to determine which existing spells can simulate each individual effect and what IQ that spell is.
    ". . . subject appears to be in deep shadow. . ."  Shadow  IQ 10
    ". . . -1 IQ to their detection roll. . ." Confusion  IQ 9
    ". . . can see thru shadow. . ." Mage sight  IQ 12
    ". . . limited regeneration. . ."  Uh, um,  IQ 21?

How I weigh the limitations:
Then I try to factor in the limitations, which in this case are many, of the spell. "(S). . ." nice because it can't be cast on someone else. Only a person who knows the spell can cast it. This makes it like some kind of personal discipline or something. It also raises serious questions about the feasibility of a magic item for this ever being invented. Also nice. ". . . already on them. . ." Excellent. Spell can't be used to regenerate damage after the fight is over and the wizard has rested up. ". . . in a shadow. . ." An interesting limitation for the regeneration. A person with this spell is definitely going to want a shadow magic item. That is a unique situation for a spell. Almost requiring a magic item to use it effectively. These three major limitations are enough to offset the regeneration, in my mind, and only require a 12 IQ. That is the highest IQ required to simulate any one of the other effects. Of course the regeneration question is open to debate, but I feel it is sufficiently limited in this case.

In conclusion I find the spell to be so specifically limited, fatigue costly, and unlikely to be a reliable choice for players that I would allow it at IQ 12.

   David Michael Grouchy II