Re: (TFT) RE: David's TFT mass combat game.

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>

I dont think anyone think's you are being rude - but
since you posted the fact that you had a TFT mass
combat system, it's only natural to expect TFT
fans to say "Cool! Let's see it!".

Michael,
Alright then. I'll be glad to post the mass combat system. I'm afraid I didn't explain myself clearly though. I was working on a mass combat system, something I found a lot harder than I ever imagined, when I discovered something else. Something that got the players and playtesters more excited than I had ever seen. I feel it is gold. The mass combat stuff is plagued by the fact that ten guys who are identical, say ST:11 spearmen, are easy enough to do but a group of ten individual adventurers are elusively hard to simplify into one dice roll. There are so many factors. Facing, formation, ready weapons, secondary, who got wounded, how many spells are runing and who specifically are they affecting. Also my players have been doing something for years that we call "group design." Experience has shown that while one character can be a great design, other designs can be better for a group. Players have been know to sit down at a campaign already in progress and before designing their character ask the question "Do y'all have a scholar/physiquer yet?" Or, "whats the ratio of front line fighters to wizards so far?" Here is an example of a character designe that completely fails on its own, but has been found invaluable in a group. They put this guy up front and his job is to just absorb damage. Sure he'll never hit with his axe, but eventually he will roll a critical and then what ever he hit is usually dead. The experience points are always spent on DX. About four or five adventures down the road this charcter grows into one of the most deadly in the group. When their DX gets high enough they drop the sheild and use a Battle Axe for 3+2.

    Dwarven Wall
ST: 18       Morning Star 2+2
DX:  6(-1)   Plate & Tower shield (8)
IQ:  8       Axe/Mace(2), Shield(1), Crossbow(1)
MA: 10

Put two of these guys in front with three halbardiers behind them doing two hex jabs between them. Put them in a tunnel against 5 spearmen, and the spearmen will proabably loose. If you add just one wizard in the back of a Halberd & Dwarf wall to clean up any messess and this group will roll over even statiscially supperior foes if those foes are all homogenous. It was in the process of trying to figure out ways to alias this that I discovered something different. Completely different. From that discovery I have a way, I think, to redo TFT as an evolution. An advancement, not just a retread. Thats the part that I'm holding close to my chest until I publish it. Anyway, I will get together the mass combat stuff and post it. It's not so much a system as a collection of 3-5 man squads and their unique abilities when working together and depending on facing. It may be usefull TFT source material if nothing else.

    David Michael Grouchy II