Re: (TFT) Highest three

from: Dan Tulloh
Date: July 14 2000
Original post: http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/0007/msg00182.html

You know, I've been thinking about the TFT method of adding or
subtracting a D6 to represent the increased or relaxed difficulty
of achieving a task and the more I think about it, the more I
don't like it.  I would advocate the following instead:

To represent levels of increased difficulty:

  Take a normal 3d6 roll and add an extra die for each level of
  difficulty.  Roll the dice and then read the total of the 3
  HIGHEST dies.  So for two levels of increased difficulty, roll
  5 dice and take the highest 3.

To represent levels of relaxed difficulty:

  Take a normal 3d6 roll and add an extra die for each level of
  difficulty.  Roll the dice and then read the total of the 3
  LOWEST dice.  So for 1 level of relaxed difficulty, roll 4
  dice and take the lowest 3.

I believe this method represents the law of diminished returns far
better than the "add/subtract a d6" method.

Dan