Re: RE: (TFT) I'm new and clueless.

>From: "Marty Brown"
>
>Hello all,
>
>    I am new to the list and new to the game.  It's intriguing
> that what has to be a fairly simple game (just guessing based
> on the perceived size of the rulebooks) has such a loyal and
> long-lasting following.

Marty,
  TFT is fairly simple, on its surface, but it's not trivial
by a longshot.  The rulebooks are small by todays standards,
but what they contain are *rules*, not background, fluff and
angsty filler.  Further, the rules have subtle and intriguing
connections, with a lot going on 'under the hood'.  It is
probably the most concise and 'elegant' set of FRP rules ever
written.

The truly amazing thing about TFT is that it has something for
everyone.  Enlightened people praise it for it's encouragement
of roleplaying, while benighted ex-1970's wargame-junkies (such
as myself) are equally enthused about it's encouragement of
tactics and intelligence in combat.

 - Stan

More of my unasked-for-opinions:

Dragonquest is a good system for combat, but I always
found the skills and magic systems to be somewhat, um,
odd.

It's true that GURPS is 'descended' from TFT, and in
many ways it is a great system.  The huge list of
sometimes picayune skills (Fast Draw Knife From Teeth,
anyone?), the attack roll/defense roll combat mechanic,
and the awesome durability of high Health fighters in
a fantasy setting are my main problems with it.