RE: (TFT) Wacky star systems

Yes,
	I believe that Proxima would have a
path that would take it a bit over a million
years to complete a cycle in the night sky.

	You could test the record keeping
/ orginization of cultures by seeing if they
noticed the movement and how accurate it
would be.

	Rick

On Thursday, August 30, 2001 5:50 PM, casliber@ozemail.com.au
[SMTP:casliber@ozemail.com.au] wrote:
> Now Rick,
> consider this - alpha centauri is a triple star system composed of a. c.
A, which is almost identical to our sun (yellow dwarf), a.c. B an orange
star slightly smaller and dimmer, and Proxima, which is far away and
rotates around the other 2 every 1 million years or so (and is closer to
our solar system by 0.1 light years).

> I guess a wide double star system is a possiblity for a plante, where the
planet rotated around one star (which would be its sun) and the other star
would be much further away and behave much like a very bright 'moon', or
red in the case of Proxima centauri.

> Also worth considering are older globular star clusters full of yellow
stars, maybe one of them has planets with no nighttime as such