(TFT) re: SOLO II

Winning the fight against the Lieutenant and the arquibusier you got blood on your robe. You clean the tip of the silver magical spear on the Lieutenant's shirt and take his keys. Leaving the interrogation room you lock the door behind you. A short trip down the stairs to the sergeant's desk and you tell him that the Lieutenant was a vampire and you had to kill him. The sergeant levels a stare at you. You give him the keys, and tell him ``I locked them in the interrogation room.'' On that note you leave.

Crossing the square you go to the Presbyteree. It's about midnight. You're hungry, you need a change of clothes, something to eat, and you may need a little healing. Some of the priests are
up.  They tend your wounds, bring you clothes, and cook you some hot food.
One of the senior priests speaks. ``Father Thias, we have come up with an idea. On the morrow we are going to put crosses all over the city. On the lamp poles, the walls, the docks, and in the sewers.'' He is an older man named Father Claude. ``This may make the streets
safer.  Even at night.''
Between bites of food you nod your agreement. ``I need some brothers to come with me to the old brewery. The one that burned down last year. Many of the street kids have been bitten and that is where they are sleeping during the day.'' You say, and take a drink. ``I was thinking it would take a fight, but I think we will test your plan instead. We'll mark crosses on all the door thresholds and the windows. We'll need a couple of ladders. This should trap them in the brewery. Then we can send in the guard with their halberds and their freeze shackles to apprehend them.'' You go back to eating. Father Claude thinks for a moment. ``Yes.'' He pours you a glass of wine. ``I think it will be wise to test the plan first.''

An hour latter you are leading a squad of eight monks. They have quarter staffs and can use them well, being friars of a fighting order. Each has a leather sack like the kind used by farmers sewing seeds. In them are collections of crosses, rosary, holy water, and jars of blessed ashes. They line up in two rows of four, each row carrying a ladder, and follow you into the night.

Two children are entertaining on a street corner. One is tap dancing and the other is playing a horn. They have a little box set out with a couple of coppers in it. The occasional passer by tosses a coin in. As your squad of monks approaches they shriek and flee into the crowds leaving the money.

At the next street there is a child with a small table set up. He is sitting on an empty crate. ``Two too one! Two too one. I'll pay two too one.'' He has three cards on the table and is shuffling them around. He see you and knocks the table over in his haste to escape.

You are two blocks away from the old brewery now. The main street for carousing is behind you. This is considered an off street. People come to here at night when they want a little more privacy. To do business, sell stolen goods, or pay dues to the Thieves Guild. There is a child juggling knives. Occasionally one seems to turn into an apple. Then he starts making things disappear under a scarf. He has attracted quite a crowd. He produces flowers from air and presents them to a lady being escorted by a gentleman. As she reaches for them they turn into a dove and fly away. He asks for the gentleman's collar pin. He can make it disappear. He then pulls it from the lady's right ear and gives it to her. The gentleman gives
him a copper and the couple goes off laughing.
The child sees you but doesn't flee. He continues running his game on the crowd. You make the monks stop. You want to watch this child a little longer. A minute later the gentlemen starts shouting down the street and comes hurrying back. He's holding the pin in his hand. "This isn't mine. Give me my pin!" The child flees. Turning to the monks you say ``That's the first one I've seen this night. Not a vampire I mean. I hope he makes it till the morning.'' One of the monks replies ``He seemed very gifted for a youth of that age. So many tricks. If they were illusions I couldn't see him casting the spell.'' Thoughtfully you continue on.

A block ahead you can see a gentleman staggering down the middle of the road. He is either lost, or trying to find his way home. A group of children are following him discreetly from a distance. They are studiously ignoring the man yet keeping pace with him. They haven't seen you yet. You start jogging at a faster pace to overtake them. The monks keep pace. When the youths turn and see you they scatter and disappear into the darkness. These off streets are not as well lit. Seeing that the drunk man is safe you stop and think for a second. The old brewery is a block away. You can see it. It looks dark and abandoned. The windows are like black eyes with soot stains for eyebrows. You turn to the monks. ``The lady. What happened to the lady. The one that was with the gentleman who lost his collar pin. Did anyone see?'' They look puzzled for a second and all confess they did not. ``I think we have just seen a kidnaping. That child may have been an important member of the Thieves Guild glamoured to look like a kid.'' Realization dawns on the monks. ``He skillfully got the man to abandon the lady and come running after him.''

    [get 40 experience for figuring this out.]

    David Michael Grouchy II