Re: (TFT) re: SOLO II

From: "David Michael Grouchy II"

     If you got very lucky, and actually got away then just before you
reached the Garden behind The Cathedral, one of the youths with a heavy
crossbow uses a wish to shoot you for triple damage and kills you from
extreme range.  No matter how well, or bad, the last fight went.
Father Lubik is now dead and the monks got your body back to The
Cathedral.

From: "Neil Gilmore"

Can't say as I like this. Never liked fiats: 'Doesn't matter what
you do, you die, because otherwise the plot goes to hell.' Average
damage is meaningless, the real die rolls are what should determine
damage.

Neil,
   Yes.
   That's the short answere anyway.  Here the long one.
It's just a problem with the solo adventure format. I would have arranged to have Father Lubik assassinated sooner or later. With all the variable paths the adventure could take I could see no other way to handle it than to force the issue. The experience of being killed and raised from the dead is horrible, I know. I have had GM's do this to me and I didn't enjoy it at all. In fact on one occassion I became quite upset with the GM calling his adventure various names like stupid and pointless.

Knowing that, and knowing I would have had to do some explaining in a face to face session so I wouldn't loose the players, I should give some of the larger picture of the adventure.

The other part of the adventure I haven't posted yet, called "The vampire plantation" follows Father Lubik as a vampire priest out at The Myrtles plantation. He is indoctrinated into the vampire ways and does battle with the wizard Omni and his apprentices. In the course of that line of the adventure there are several ghosts involved which the vampires are using against the wizards. In each eddition of the solo adventure (SOLO I through SOLO IX) there will come a point with a major decision. In the first one it was to join the vampires or not. In this one it is to be raised from the dead or stay as a ghost. As a ghost the the player will get a closer look at the things the GM sees going on. He will visit the ship that had left that morning with rats on it, find the secret attic where the real plan of the vampires is unfolding, and discovered how many highly intelligent nuns of the Ursulines convent have already been turned while no one was looking. As a ghost he will also continue to gain experience as he is still on the same mission and will still get to fight the vampires. At the end he will be wished by to life in his still frozen body, and will keep the experience. Also, if raised from the dead now or later they will summon five angels to restore the five character points one normally looses from being revived. I should mention the most important reason for all this unplesantness of being killed. The underlying theme of the connected adventures is raising people from the dead. In the first one the apprentices of Omni were overheard making comments on how vampires can raise themselves. They are looking for a way to raise people who have been long dead. Longer than an hour. They think that the vampire disease holds the key, but they havn't figured out how to infect someone with it who is already dead. The theme of coming back from the beyond, ghosts, and greater spirits are touched on in TFT but are very limited. I saw this as an opportunity for a player to look at things from a ghosts perspective, being a person who was killed in the middle of an important mission. By the end of all the SOLOs I hope to have Father Lubik able to raise the dead from a one thousand year old bone fragment of arch villian and re-introduce them into society. As such I felt it was time to bring the issue a little closer to center stage. In closing I would like to say that I frequently put my players under great duress and emotional turmoil. I intend no meaness by this. I find that if players are willing to walk through the fire with me then the rewards gained on the other side are more valued and the whole experience becomes a more precious memory. I appologize for any sence of betrayal I may have caused in the readers.

    David Michael grouchy II