Re: (TFT) Starting characters?

From: "John Paul Bakshoian" <hailmelee@hotmail.com>
David,

(please forgive me the following rant...

John,
    This is a well written post.

I'm the guy with the 2 simultaneous characters that starts
off as 40 points and 30 points.

Ahhhh. I should be extra carefull here not to step on Michael Taylor's toes. I believe this is to happen in his campaign after all. That said, If I may Michael?

We are going to play a campaign that is lasting tentatively
only 6  games.  I have a very solid creative concept of how
my character is at the start of the game.  It does not fit
the mold of a thirty two point character . . .

   Yes.  To quote the first sentence of my original post
 I would allow it.
My recomendation is just that the core idea of the 40 point character take a job at 32 points and work his/her way up. I have found that some 40 point designs, while they look alright at 40 points, could never have grown into that design. By doing it this way, sure, a couple may die but eventually one will make it. Then you will have a character with some years added, quite a bit of cash, and a first hand experience of the road they took to power. To go further, I allow players to work their characters at home on their own time. Several times I have annouced that the next session will be a one shot adventure for 44 point characters. The arive at the game with the characters ready to play. Those who don't or forgot, I don't even work them personally. I pick another player to watch their rolls while they work, and I start the session with background, descriptions and other warm ups. Let me give an example of a high point character that this approach prevents. The classic is the high IQ wizard with nary a single spell below IQ 16. Granted there is a rule in TFT for forgetting spells and tallents, but this is just stretching it. Another classic example is the Unarmed Combat V character. I have never seen a character survive the job tables who was pure Unarmed Combat. Just to get a fighting job they have to have three weapon talents. The weapons do a lot more damage than the UC. As they get extra points allong the way they loose interest in putting so many points in IQ for UC talents. They do more damage with weapons anyway. Well, you see my point.

Running two characters is a lot like running one or five
characters.  Your character has a personality.  When you
run Miss Piggy,  you run that personality.  When you run
Kermit, you run that personality.

I have to conceed the point here. I agree completely. By the way I have never heard "The Miss Piggy" defence before. Mind if I use it?

a Game that  allows for great interaction and advancement
and takes the arbitrary NPC load off the Gamemaster.

I really like this sentiment. I had one player who played a Jewish fighter with animal handler who was also a drunk. His dog was called Judas. He was hilarious to watch at the gaming table. Always drunk he would loose sight of his dog a frequently call "Judas, where are you? Come here boy!" All of this was completly fabricated by the player. As you said, it took a lot of the load off of me, and added a lot to the role-playing of everyone involved.

BUT WHAT ABOUT PLAYER KNOWLEDGE???? Yea, so Spock 's player knows what Bones is going to do next turn.

Had not expected this point. I make a point of not calling my players on this. If I fell they are using too much 20th century knowledge, or knowledge that one character would have but their own character would not, I just make a mental note of their inexperience as role players. I have run two adventures where I told all the players exactly what the ending was, and then told them that what ever their characters did they could not act on this information until I told them it was time. They all behaved admirably. No one acted on the information with any fore knowledge. In fact they great lengths to do everyting but act like they knew what was going to happen.

    David Michael Grouchy II