(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #284

For specialty mages, I really liked Paul Reillys "Runic Affinity"
which we used in Runequest. The PC expends a point of spiritual
power stat, and is mystically connected to the elemental nature
chosen, such as fire, so they are much better at doing fire
related magic, and worse at doing water magic, since it is
the elemental opposite. More points of affinity increase the effect.

I suppose a stat point in RQ or D&D is more expensive than in TFT.
This sort of thing should make magic more mysterious and exciting.
If you have a magically weak world where few people ever succeed
in any spell, a PC born into a long line of pyromaniacs might have
inherited enough fire runic affinity to boost him over the level of
ability needed to be a mage. To make a really deep story you could
have him not even know how he is doing it until some big adventure.

There is no end to the wierdo runes you could come up with in RQ,
although there are some principles where the wierdo ones are not
going to provide as much might as the fundamental ones. To propose
a wierd one, how about "steam", which is both water and fire affinity
together, sure to upset the traditional mages.

Nils