Re: (TFT) Skill, knowledge, tricks and talents

> Message text written by INTERNET:tft@brainiac.com
> >If TFT ever moved into a Sci-Fi setting, then the talents
> will have to be changed to reflect that.  Astronomy n such
> will need to be broken out from the general field of math.<
>
> Astronomy and Astronomy II are in The Fantasy Forum #10, New Talents by
> Craig Bowyer
>
> Rick Smith also has an Astronomy/Astrology talent.

One of the points with 'modern' Talents is that, in general, there's more
knowledge base in a modern setting. In a medieval setting, for example,
being able to do Calculus makes you a genius, because that knowledge wasn't
there to begin with. In a modern setting, it makes you a college freshman,
because the knowledge already exists, and is available. This makes an
addendum to what I stated before. Having a Talent doesn't just mean that you
can do that thing well, but well relative to the rest of the people around.
Makes sense to me, it's the whole 'shoulders of giants' thing.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com