Re: (TFT) Facing change after movement

David Michael Grouchy II writes:

> >From: Todd Roll <troll@home.dwave.net>
> >
> >FACING
> >
> >Each figure faces one side of his hex,as shown by the
> >direction the counter is turned.  A player may change
> >the facing of a figure whenever it MOVES, and may always
> >change its facing at the end of its movement turn, even
> >if it stayed in the same hex.
> >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Todd,
>    Well I'm floored.  It seems like I knew this.  At one
> time or another.   Thanks for pointing it out.

I think Stan is right - According to the canon, you only
get a free change of facing at the end of your movement
turn, not at the end of someone else's.  Otherwise, the
concept of facing wouldn't make much sense, except in a
one-on-many or many-on-many fight because, given the
opportunity, you'd always turn to face the opponent.

That said, I've been thinking about the proposed rule
and I've got some questions about it.  If I'm moving
first, and I can't move to engage my opponent, why
would I make a move that would allow him to run behind
me?  I would try to stay at a range of half MA, just to
prevent such an occurence, and then move to engage on
the NEXT turn.  If I am heavily armored, and my opponent
isn't, it might be worth my while to move my full MA to
engage the opponent, just so he can't get behind me.

I think I recall reading somewhere that nothing in
Melee happens simultaneously.  If I win the initiative
and I tell my opponent to move first and he engages me
during his movement, then I am engaged when my turn to
move comes and I must choose an option accordingly.

I guess all this diatribe is leading to a conclusion
that I don't feel the rule is a good one.  It looked
good on the face of it, but upon further reflection, I
think it would remove a tactical element from the game.

Dan