Re: (TFT) Engaging large figures in HTH.

rsmith wrote:

> Hey David,
>         You have a good point.  I could see
> a giant being taken down by a couple or
> three elves (imagine your 12 year old
> nephew and his buddies tackling you in a
> wrestling match). But how many humans
> does it take to knock down an elephant?
>
>         I've played it that large figures
> are engaged (and so only get a one hex
> shift) but are not necessarily knocked
> down.  They may trample one figure as
> well as their regular attack(s).
>
>         However if 3 humans can engage a
> dragon when they are one hex away from
> it, it seems hard to believe that they
> can't engage it when zero hexes away
> and physically grappling with it.
>
>         Rick

xD&D had Overbear and Grapple, a useful distinction in terms between
"Can knock you down" and "Can hurt you while in close contact".

Certainly a human can cut at an elephant while wrapped around a leg or
such.  That sounds like HTH to me, and D&D would call it grappling.  But
overbearing an elephant?  Never.  A Giant, I can see.

I offer the following, which will of course may be wrong in the numbers,
but might still be a framework some more worthy geek may build on.

To engage (normal combat, essentially you're threatening enough to slow
them down), hexes 'worth' of figures equal to one-half the hexes of the
target.  So two guys for a giant, or one horse and rider.  Four guys for
a 7-hx dragon?  Seems about right.

To overbear (what Melee calls 'engage in HTH'), hexes worth of figures
equal to the hexes of the target.  Three guys for a giant, four for a
little dragon, etc.  Overborne figures do not get a 'stomp' attack.  See
below.  And remember to roll for 'defense against HTH'.  GM should
consider whether large quadrupeds are able to defend vs HTH.

To grapple, move into the hex, and declare yourself grappling.  If the
target is overborne already (even if not by your allies), or otherwise
unable to oppose you, you succeed.  Else make the normal 'defense
agaisnt HTH' roll.  You may do unarmed or dagger damage (with a
successful hit) each round.  If the target is not overborne, it gets a
free stomp attack.

The second and following 'defense vs HTH' roll made by a target in one
round should be at a penalty, perhaps -1 to the roll per hex of those
who have attempted HTH so far.

Once grappling a figure counts against further defense vs HTH, even into
following rounds of combat.  A figure may remain grappling, and still
count toward an attempt to overbear.

So a giant might be jumped by three adventurers, and fend two off.  The
next round, the two that were fended try again, while the one that
succeeded slashes with a dagger.  The first attempt is at -1 to the
giant's fending roll, because of the hostile hanger-on.  IF it succeeds,
the second is at -2 to the roll.  And if that succeeds, the giant is
overborne, and does not get his stomp.

Of course, _why_ you would want to grapple with a giant, I have no idea.