Re: (TFT) Weapon Multiplier --> Repost

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Weapon Multiplier --> Repost
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:55:13 -0500

>I've had this situation come up where a character wanted to bypass a
guard that was in an ally.  There was one square open where he could run
past the guard and be two hexes away.  I used the rule that once touching
an enemy hex you had to stop.  He got pissed at my interpretation of the
rules.  Now I see he could have been right.<

He was *definitely* right.

Advanced Melee, ENGAGED AND DISENGAGED p. 6, "A one-hex figure is engaged
if it is in one of the front hexes of an armed enemy."

"Jon and Grath are not engaged; they are not enemies."

Therefore, if the guard was an allly - he can let him 'pass' without
forcing him to start.

Michael

This was an enemy situation. The guard was armed with a shortsword as I remember. The "hero" was armored in cloth I believe, and had running talent.

I'm thinking now of allowing a run-by option, where if the "hero's" intention is to by-pass the opponent, on his movement he can do an all-out run, pass thru the zone of control and end his movement where he wants. "Hero" cannot attack or defend, but can use his shield to protect. The "Defender" gets a free swing for the time that "Hero" was in his zone of control, but only if "Defender" was not engaged in any other combat at the time. If he is newly engaged in combat and wants to swing at "Hero", he is at -2DX for this first ByPass, then does his normal attack on new engagement. If he was previously engaged in combat, he gets a free swing at -4DX, then does his normal attack on other opponent.

This is somewhat like a variation of a shield-bash, but instead of aiming to hit, you're aiming to miss.

I'm sure you live RPGers have raced by an opponent's Zone of Control to get to the other side.

Hailmelee,
John Paul