Re: (TFT) Associatin of Fantasy Trippers

>I am interested in backing this up. The money is there for the present owners to >take, the longer they wait, the greater it will become. We in the meantime could
>still be cautious and timid, but at least we could go forward.

I don't post on this list, but I check it out from time to time on the Web to see if anyone has pried TFT rights away from Howard Thompson.

Your plan strikes me as a really good way to get sued. Your group, however well-intentioned, is setting up a bank account that acknowledges the rights belong to someone else. Intentional violation of copyright carries huge penalties. Thompson could go after each of the contributors individually in court.

I also think it's morally questionable to set up a fund for a rightsholder who can be contacted pretty easily. Didn't Ty Beard or someone else on this list reach Howard through his son earlier this year to inquire about the sale of the rights?

It's a shame that TFT can't be officially revived. However, I think the best response is to do what Microtactix is doing -- publish new works that are in the spirit of the old Metagaming without being derived from its products in any way. If the members of this mailing list locked away their Metagaming products and wrote a new RPG from scratch that embodies the kind of rules you like, it would probably be a great de facto successor to TFT. I'd love to see a game like that, because I haven't been able to get my hands on TFT due to collectors buying it up whenever one shows up on EBay. I'm curious to find out why the game continues to have fans 20 years after it ceased publication.

Rogers Cadenhead
E-mail: rogers@cadenhead.org
Web: http://www.cadenhead.org