Re: (TFT) Your game, more thoughts.

>>>     I really like the idea of the D20 open gaming license, but I
dissagree
>>>with one of their philosophical motivations.  They stated that in the
past
>>>multiple games "clouded" the market.  I disagree.  I think that the one
>>>thing role playing needs more of is competition.  I should quantify
that.  I
>>>think role playing games are screaming for more "quality" competition.

I think you are absolutely correct. I think the same could also be said of
the software industry as well. Why a lowest common denomonator
(d20/Windows) solutions has distinct advantages and mass appeal, it
ultimately makes innovation much tougher.

Keep in mind that in addition to some philosophically shaky underpinnings
keep in mind that the Open Gaming liscense is disengenious in some other
ways as well.

For Open Gaming to work you have to allow other companies to sell your
product for your. They write adventures, but all the adventures require
your rules. You can't let another company publish character creation rules
- or you risk them putting you out of business with your *own* open gaming
liscence!

The problem is enforcment. Unless you are as large as WOTC, then you'll
risk severe financial burden in pursuing liscence violations! Something
that most *other* small gaming companies can't risk. (And there have
already been several cases of willful violators of the d20 Open Gaming
liscence).

Therefore the Open Gaming Liscence really only benefits WOTC. Financially,
it doesn't really make much sense for anyone else to pursue it.

Unless of course - they create d20 products!

Michael