RE: (TFT) advanced melee

From: "Eric Douglas Keene" <ericdkeene@prodigy.net>

 Do people allow such
high automatic damage (a +5 sword that then is enchanted
to flame or something like that) or at some point do they
"trade in" some amount of automatic damage for an
additional die or two?

Eric,
I tried it... ONCE. I wound up with a player mutiny on my hands. While I tried to convince them that by rolling extra dice, instead of the fat plus, they had the potential to do even more damage. The players argued that they counted on doing a garanteed minimum of damage like five or eight points. So it never took. Apparently if "feels" more magical to my players if it has less variablility and a set minimum damage. It was shortly after this I started re-working the damage a dragon does with its claws.

   David Michael Grouchy II