Re: (TFT) Excerpt from Essay in the Sorcerer rpg. Thoughts about RPGing style.

    What percentage of your players fall into
each camp?

Rick,
The city campaign I run is three layered. In a literal way. Each layer of the city is a different style of campaign. I can tell what kind of player I am dealing with by which level they spend most of their time on. Here is the break down and the type of gaming they most resemble.

   Lowest level     The Poor Quarter       Gamist
   Middle level     The Merchant Quarter   Simulationist
   Upper level      The Rich Quarter       Narrativist

So Hack & Slash players spend a lot of time in the Poor Quarter, but players who like narrative, politics, and "Nattering at NPC's" (Hehehehe great phrase) spend most of their time in the Rich Quarter. The Merchant Quarter is Simulationist by way of making a profit. In order to make a single copper one has to shave an expense somewhere. Players become very interested in EXACTLY what is needed to make a sword, how much it cost to ship materials around, the weight of cargo to the gram, etcetera. So, where do most of my players fall? Well here is the break down by years.

               1982  1986  1990  1994  1996  2000  TOTALS    %
Gamist            97    38     0    12     2     1    150    78%
Simulationist      2    10     0     4     4     5     25    13%
Narrativist        1     2     3     4     4     4     18     9%

   David Michael Grouchy II