Re: (TFT) New weapon list for ranged weapons

Rick Smith wrote...

 Please let me know what everyone thinks.

Rick,
The magnum bow in our campaigns was usually a finely made long bow of +2 damage. Doing 1D+4 is sweet. It has a minimum of 5 points of damage and averages 3 points of damage through fine plate. Of course the obvious problem with this is... can one make a fine bow? I guess it could be argued that a fine bow is equal to a composite bow. Not sure. This magnum bow is before any enchantments are put on it for flaming or extra damage. One guy had a hobbit archer named "Conans" (strange name. His personal name being a plural). He had a long successfull carreer and his magnum bow became the first super bow. If I remember correctly it did 1D+7, he shot it twice a turn, oh.. yeah.. and he had a set of mage sight goggles. On memorable sceen is him at the end of a dark tunnel and a whole platoon of orcs coming toward him. Some of them have torches to light their way. He shoots two of them in the hand and they drop their torches. One goes out, the other doesn't. Another orc bends to pick it up. He gets shot in the hand. He dies on the spot. After two turns of these shots form the dark the orcs fled in terror. The players telling me this story would begin laughing at this point. They relate how they found the orcs later in the very very back of the labrinth. Their hands were bloody. They were still trying to claw a way out through solid rock. Anyway, story aside, I like the new bows you list a lot. I KNOW my players will love them. But... well... what happens when they make magnum versions of these weapons. It may be a little too much damage. In a pure "game balance" sense I think ranged weapons are weaker because the ability to project damage has huge advantages over having to deliver it in person.

Conclusions:
I will allow players to use the new bow table you posted. The limit being that they will be less expesive alternatives to the finely made weapons. They can not be finely made themselves, they already are.

  David Michael Grouchy II