RE: (TFT) Crossbows - Penetrating weapons suggestion

Rick wrote:
>	The problem about X dice - Y, when X and Y are
>both large is that theoretically X could do maximum
>damage, but in reality it will do close to average
>damage.  For example, with your suggestion of 4d-8,
>most of the time the total will be within 4 of the
>average of 14.5.  So the damage done by this weapon
>will range from 0 to 11 almost always.

True, the bell curve on 4d6 is pretty steep. I actually thought about this,
then decided it was OK with me. As Ty pointed out, I'd rather (in my
campaigns) have a more predictable amount of damage resulting from each
shot, so that character and NPC's lives don't so much depend on a single
very good or very bad damage roll. (This generally points to disallowing
"penetrating" damage completely, IMHO.) I made the suggestion as a way to
allow "realism" to be integrated into TFT, if desired, with a minimum of
rule changes.

But I should have pointed out the bell-curve in my suggestion - thanks for
catching me.

And Stan wrote:
>The only problem (if it is a problem) with creating a 3d-2
>'english longbow' is that it throws heavy crossbows on the
>scrapheap.  3d-2 every turn vs. 3d every third turn?  I still
>can't see anyone going the crossbow route with those numbers.
>Now if crossbows didn't take a talent to use, then maybe.

Agreed, to some extent. But:

* Heavy Crossbows (HCB) shoot every other turn at DX 16+.
* HCB can be fired from prone, allowing +1 DX.
* HCB can be fired by characters of ST < 15 (using cranequins).
* Average damage 8.5 vs. average 10.5 is a significant difference,
	particularly against heavy armor (and both weapons will
	be pretty close to average most of the time - see above).
* Bow takes 2 IQ and Crossbow only 1 IQ.

I can see the English Longbow (ELB) (3d-2) vs. HCB (3d) choice as not being
a complete slam-dunk.

>one has to wonder why longbows do 1d6+2 but english
>longbows do 3d6-2? The minimum is actually lower.

True, though it comes up only very rarely. However, the phenomenon is
already present in Ad. Melee: see the damage for Bastard Sword (Minimum
damage 1-handed is 3 points, minimum damage 2-handed is 1 point (and there
are other examples)). But if it's a problem, it's OK with me to make ELB
2d+1.
						- Mark